Dog owners around the world will agree that their dogs offer them far more than just companionship. In fact, having a dog in your house does a lot for your mental health and enrichment. However, this enrichment does still come at a cost.
So, how expensive is dog maintenance in 2022? Well, there are many necessities that dogs need to survive. This includes things such as food, vet visits, and dental care.
Then you have other things that are less necessary such as toys, treats, and even more toys. The bottom line is that there is a lot of things that your pet needs. Over time, all of these costs tend to add up. Obviously, this comes as a surprise to many new dog owners.
How Expensive is Dog Maintenance in 2022?
Owning a dog has many amazing benefits. However, when wondering how expensive is dog maintenance in 2022, you may be shocked. It is worth noting that the figures below are dependent on where you live and what kind of dog you have.
There are also other expenses that aren’t included. Based on the figures below, you can expect to pay up to $4,000 in your first year of pooch ownership. This does not include the amount you pay to purchase the dog.
A Detailed Breakdown of dog maintenance costs
Check out some of the costs that come with owning a dog. It’s a lot more than you might think:
- Purchasing the dog- Generally dogs cost between $500 and $1,500 for a puppy and less for dogs aged 6-months plus. If you’re looking for a purebred dog or a popular pup, such as a Cavoodle, then you should expect to pay between $2,500 – $5,000. Premium dogs including French Bulldogs and Tibetan Mastiff’s can cost anywhere up to $15,000 or even more depending on the breed, age, colour and other factors.
- Microchipping- $60 to $80.
- Council registration- $40 to $150 depending on whether or not the dog is desexed.
- Vaccinations- $170 to $250.
- Prevention for heartworms, worms, and fleas- $120 to $300.
- Desexing- $200 to $500 depending on the size, age, and breed of the dog.
- Food and bowls- $800 to $1000 per year depending on the size, age, and breed of the dog.
- Grooming- $50 to $100 per session depending on the size & breed of dog.
- Toys and treats- $150 to $400 per year.
- Bed and kennel expenses- $100 to $200.
- Collars, harnesses, and leashes- $40 to $100.
- Puppy training- Approx $120 per session depending on the age, size, gender, and breed of the dog.
- Car restraint- $30 and above.
- Professional dog walking- Approx $25 per hour. Based on 2 hours of walking per week for 50 weeks of the year, this will total approx $2,500 for a year.
- Vet Bills- These entirely depend on the issue at hand, vet costs can range anywhere from $50 – $3,000+. It’s a good idea to get pet insurance to help to cover these expenses if they do come up.
All of these costs must be considered when wondering how expensive is dog maintenance in 2022.
How Much Will Your Dog Cost Long-Term?
Owning a dog involves many regular expenses. It isn’t unusual to need financial services at some point during dog ownership. The annual expenses for looking after a dog amount to around $1,500. This figure can increase depending on the age, size, breed, illness, or accident history of the dog.
How expensive is dog maintenance in 2022 will depend on many things.
Financing Options for Your Dog
When it comes to how expensive is dog maintenance in 2022, you can consider financing options such as loans for your dog. Owning a dog can lead to many unplanned expenses that can mess up your budget. You can consider the following options to fund these expenses:
- Unsecured personal loans
- Short term loans
- Low-interest credit cards
This will help you out greatly if you are on a strict monthly budget or if you don’t currently have access to the money needed to finance your furry friend. Financing options are essential for any pet owner as animals are unpredictable at times.
The Pros and Cons of Financing Options for Your Dog
Let’s take a look at the pros and cons of financing options for your dog:
- Buying a dog on finance can allow you to purchase your ideal breed.
- You can fund unexpected bills when you are low on money.
- You can pay things off (including your dog) in instalments rather than in one go.
- You can improve your credit rating if you make on-time repayments.
- You can apply for more than just the cost of your dog including toys, dog beds, and veterinary care.
- You may struggle when applying for a secured personal loan.
- Your dog can end up costing more in the long term than if you paid upfront.
- If your circumstances change you may be unable to make repayments.
The Bottom Line of How Expensive is Dog Maintenance in 2022
When wondering how expensive is dog maintenance in 2022, it is important to know that Australia has one of the highest rates of pet ownership in the world, and dog ownership does not come cheap. In any matter involving your finances, you need to examine any implications with every single decision you make.
While there are definitely many substantial benefits to having a furry friend around, you need to ensure that you estimate the financial costs of owning a dog before you take the plunge. If you are currently looking to purchase a dog or need help paying for your pets’ maintenance but have bad credit, get in touch with Clean Credit.
We can help you improve your credit score so you can apply for finance with better interest rates and a greater chance of approval.